For this item type, you need to select the most appropriate words from a drop-down list to restore the text.
There is a passage with some missing words. Beside each gap, there is a button with a drop-down list. Left-click on this button to reveal the drop-down list of options for that gap. Select the option you think best fills the gap.
To change your mind, left-click on a different option.
- While it’s no wonder that dogs are (1) ______ as man’s best friends, little is known about the origins of this friendship. It is presumed that dogs were one of the first animals to be (2) ______ by humans. One notable effect of this long relationship with humans is that unlike other canine species, dogs can (3) ______ on a carbohydrate-rich diet. Historically, dogs have been helping us in many ways, but recently they are also assisting people with disabilities and (4) ______ in therapy. Patients who were administered dog therapy demonstrated decreased stress, increased happiness, and (5) ______ energy levels.
- ( a) boring (b)popular ( c) danger (d) laziness
- ( a) encounter (b) ridicule ( c) safe (d) domesticated
- ( a) master (b) flourish ( c) worried (d) prejudice
- ( a) aiding (b) mercurial ( c) tremendous (d) carnivore
- ( a) jostle (b) kind ( c) improved (d) neighbourly
Check Your Answer
4( a) aiding
5( c) improved
2. Despite progress over the last two (1) _____________, still more than 35 per cent of the urban population of the less developed regions was living in slums in 2005-2007. In the least developed countries 71 per cent of the urban dwellers lived in slums. This proportion is very high in sub-Saharan Africa , (2) _____________ from 61 per cent in Western Africa to 71 per cent in Middle Africa. It is also very high in Sudan, where 94 per cent of the urban dwellers live in slums. In Asia this proportion is 33 per cent, close to the average of the less developed (3) _____________, and 22 percentage points lower than in Africa. Twentyfive per cent of the urban population of Western Asia lives in slums, a percentage significantly lower than the world average. Lack of access to safe drinking water and adequate sanitation are typical characteristics of urban slums. Access to safe water and adequate sanitation are among the indicators used to monitor progress toward (4)_____________sustainability. Globally, 134 million urban dwellers (4 per cent) lacked (5)_____________ to an improved water supply in 2008 and 806 million (24 per cent) lacked adequate sanitation services. Most of these people lived in informal, overcrowded urban settlements in developing countries, particularly in Africa and Asia.
- ( a) time (b) visit ( c) equity (d) decades
- ( a) infrastructure (b) ranging ( c) hover (d) knowledge
- ( a) regions (b) luxury ( c) prevalent (d) courtesy
- ( a) collude (b) environmental ( c) magnificient (d) enormously
- ( a) negotiations (b) housing ( c) relent (d) access
Check Your Answer
4( b) environmental
5( d) access
3. In the second century of the Christian era, the empire of Rome comprehended the fairest part of the earth and the most civilized _________ of mankind. The frontiers of that extensive monarchy were guarded by ancient renown and disciplined valour. The gentle but powerful _________ of laws and manners had gradually cemented the union of the provinces. Their peaceful inhabitants enjoyed and abused the advantages of wealth and luxury. The image of a free constitution was preserved with decent reverence: the Roman senate appeared to possess the sovereign _________ and devolved on the emperors all the executive powers of government. During a happy period of more than fourscore years, the public _________ was conducted by the virtue and abilities of Nerva, Trajan, Hadrian, and the two Antonines. It is the design of this, and of the two succeeding _________, to describe the prosperous condition of their empire; and afterwards, from the death of Marcus Antoninus, to deduce the most important _________ of its decline and fall; a revolution which will ever be remembered, and is still felt by the nations of the earth.
- ( a) achieved (b) portion ( c) introduce (d) relinquish
- ( a) doubtful (b) difficult ( c) peace (d) influence
- ( a) authority (b) arrows ( c) easy (d) taken
- ( a) administration (b) honorable ( c) secure (d) exposing
- ( a) collude (b) environmental ( c) chapters (d) enormously
- ( a) weight (b) circumstances ( c) preserving (d) seven